It all began in July of 1930, when a Franciscan priest, Fr. Celestine of St. Edward Parish in Carlsbad, first celebrated Mass for 23 people in a tin shack on 300 North McKinley in Hobbs. Soon, the emerging church outgrew the shack and began using a night club, the Rainbow Room, as a church. Then dedicated parishioners, including Mr. and Mrs. J.N. Dunlavey, the late Mr. and Mrs. P.H Golden, and the late Judge Thomas Whelan and Mrs. Whelan, collected money to buy land and build a church named Saint Helena in honor of the mother of Mr. Golden. The church was dedicated in 1936.